Stephenson county histories
- Historical Sketches of the History of Stephenson Co., IL by Wm. J. Johnston, 1854 (Indexed)
- History of Stephenson Co., 1880 by M.H. Tilden (Indexed)
- History of Stephenson Co., 2 vols., 1910 by Addison L. Fulwider (Indexed)
- History of Stephenson Co., 1970 ed. By Mary X. Barrett (Indexed)
Neighboring county histories
- Jo Daviess Co. History, H.F. Kett & Co., 1878.
- Ogle Co. History, H.F. Kett & Co., 1878.
- Carroll Co. History, H.F. Kett & Co., 1878.
- History of Winnebago Co., 2 vols., ed. By Chas. A. Church, 1916.
- Portrait & Biographical Album of Stephenson Co., 1888, Chapman Bros. (Indexed)
- In the Footprints of the Pioneers of Stephenson Co., 1900. (Indexed)
Other books of local interest
- Life & times in Freeport, IL by Leslie T. Fargher published in 1967 by the Stephenson County Genealogical Society. Mr. Fargher lived in downtown Freeport for many years and gives his memories of events and businesses that were important to the downtown area.
- Illustrated Freeport, Freeport Journal, 1896. This volume describes early Freeport businesses, gives information on prominent individuals and has some photos of people, businesses and even residences.
- Kent for a Century and a Quarter 1827 1952 by Philip L. Keister, Kent, IL, 1952.
- History of Lena by Oscar E. Glaser. (Index to Lena Star 1867-1964)
- Supplement to Glaser book 1955 1964 (Births, Deaths, Marriages).
- Index to Marriages 1867 1954 (Another Glaser index to Lena Star records).
- The Early Black Settlers of Stephenson County, Illinois 1830 1930 by Joyce Salter Johnson.
- A Hundred-Year Journal A Pictorial History of the Early Black Settlers of Stephenson County, Illinois 1830 1930 by Joyce Salter Johnson. Freeport, Illinois: Stephenson Co. Historical Society, 2010.
Civil War books
- Report of the Adjutant General of Illinois, 9 vols.
- The Stephenson County Civil War Memorial Establishment on National Registry, 1998, by Ellen Stadermann. (Civil War Soldier's monument in Freeport)
- Forty-Sixth Regiment IL Volunteer Infantry
- History of 124th Regiment
- Ninety-Second IL Volunteers
- Ninety-Third IL Volunteers
- Ninety-Sixth Regiment IL Volunteer Infantry
- 19th IL Volunteer Infantry
- Fifty-Fifth Regiment IL Volunteer Infantry
Other military sources
- Roll of Honor: Record of Burial Places of Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Army Nurses of all Wars of the United States Buried in the State of Illinois 2 vols., Springfield, IL, 1929.
- Honor Roll of the Great War: Stephenson County, 1917 1919.
Lincoln/Douglas Debate materials
- The Freeport Debate and its Centennial Commemoration. Freeport: Lincoln-Douglas Society, 1959.
- Freeport's Lincoln published by W.T. Rawleigh, Freeport, IL., 1930.
- Other materials on the 1858 Freeport Debate can be found in the Vertical File, in newspaper accounts and in other locally published materials concerning the debate.
Funeral home records
- Kuehner Funeral Records 1882 1935.
- Leamon's Funeral Home Lena 1931 1953 and Warren, IL Funeral Home Records 1933 1953.
- Eichmeier Funeral Home Records 1933 1953.
- Schwarz & Offenheiser Funeral Home Records.
Stephenson County Illinois Poor Farm Records 1856 Feb. 1958
Stephenson Co. Genealogical Society Family History Files
Vertical File Personal Name File
Freeport City Directories 1857 current (missing some years)
Freeport and Stephenson County telephone directories 1956 current (missing some years)
- Freeport High School Yearbooks 1896 (Stella) current (some missing years)
- Aquin High School sporadic copies
Plat books and maps
- Combined Stephenson Co., Atlas/Plat book 1871, 1894 1913 (Indexed)
- 1859 Map of the County of Stephenson, IL 1859 by H.F. Walling.
- 1932 Plat Book of Stephenson Co.
- Jo Daviess Co., 1872, 1893, 1913
- Winnebago Co., 1871 1892 1905
- Boone & Winnebago Co., 1886.
- Lafayette Co., WI, 1874, 1895, 1916
- Henry Co., IL 1875.
- The Local History room has other more recent Stephenson Co. plat books (latest 2009) as well as some from nearby counties as well.
Local business collections
- Burgess collection
- Micro News (Micro Switch newsletter) 1940 1985
Vertical File: Listed by person, place or subject
- Pamphlets, articles and clippings on people, places, etc. in Freeport and Stephenson County.